1/2 cup margarine
1/2 cup sugar
4 Tbsp Cocoa
2 cups crushed graham crackers
1 cup fine coconut
2 cups icing sugar
1/4 cup margarine
3 tbsp custard powder
4 Tbsp milk
4 squares semi-sweet chocolate
1 Tbsp butter
1. Mix and melt over hot water: 1/2 cup margarine, sugar, cocoa and egg.
2. Add graham cracker crumbs and coconut
3. Pack into a greased 8 x 10 pan, cool 15 minutes
4.Cream 1/4 cup margarine, icing sugar and custard powder until smooth
5. Add milk 1 Tbsp at a time
6. Spread over first layer and let sit 15 min
7. Melt chocolate and butter over hot water
8. Spread over top, Cool and refrigerate
That's the recipe for standard nanaimo bars.
At christmas I swap the middle layer out for peppermint icing (icing sugar, 1/4 cup margarine, milk, green food colouring and peppermint extract)
I've also done:
Swap middle layer for cherry icing (cherry flavouring, red food colouring)
Swap middle layer for orange icing (orange flavouring, orange food colouring)..... also adding some orange rind to the base layer is yummy.
Basically you can flavour them anything that goes with chocolate and coconut.
Enjoy! Super yummy.