Saturday, May 7, 2011

Sweet and Sour Turkey Meatballs

This is a new recipe to me. I found it in the Everyone Can Cook: Slow Cooker Meals. This book has lots of yummy looking recipes in it.

JDS_7005

Sweet and Sour Turkey Meatballs

1 lb (500 g) lean ground turkey
1/4 cup dried breadcrumbs
1 large egg, beaten
2 tsp peeled, grated fresh ginger
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 tsp salt
freshly ground pepper to taste
14 oz (398 mL) tomato sauce
1/4 cup ketchup
1/4 cup rice vinegar
3 Tbsp honey
2 tsp cornstarch
19 oz (540 mL) can unsweetened pineapple
1 green bell pepper, diced
2 green onions, thinly sliced

Preheat over to 375F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

Place turkey, breadcrumbs, egg, ginger, garlic, salt and pepper in a bowl and mix well. Roll the meat mixture into 1 1/2 inch balls and set on prepared baking sheet. Roast for 20 minutes, or until cooked through.

Plac tomato sauce, ketchup, vinegar, honey, soy sauce and cornstarch in your slow cooker and whisk to combine. Add the meatballs, pineapple (fruit and juices) and bell pepper and gently swirl to combine. Cover and cook on the low setting for 6 hours, or until the meatballs are tender. Sprinkle servings of the meatballs with green onion.


We really enjoyed this recipe. I served it over wild rice and it was definitely toddler approved. This is a dish that will become a regular in our house!

I'm not someone who keeps fresh ginger, or even garlic in the house. I always buy prepared sources for these... since I'm not one for spending too much extra time in the kitchen. These are the ones I had on hand for this recipes.... yup... yummy tubes ;). I also buy some of my herbs this way, I've found that I use them more, and I'm not wasting food by having to throw out the neglected ones. Just one of my shortcuts in the kitchen.

JDS_7002



No comments:

Post a Comment