Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Butter

Butter is very easy to make, and it is cheaper to make than to buy it.

_JDS7975

 

I bought my whipping cream for a little bit less than you pay for a brick of butter in our area.   Of course I had a coupon though, which was additional savings for me, but that is not factoring into my assessment.  

One of the best things about making butter… you get butter milk as well, to make pancakes with! :)   That's where you're saving!

_JDS7973

See that? 1 litre of whipping cream, you get 2 cups of butter and 2 cups of buttermilk!

The process is simple! There's so many ways to make it.

I make mine in the Vitamix (here are directions for this):

Vitamix

You can also make it in a food processor (there's many of these directions out there.. this is just one example):

Food Processor

You can also make it in your stand mixer:

Stand Mixer

Or you can just pour it in a mason jar and SHAKE SHAKE SHAKE (if you need to keep your kids busy while you make dinner)!

You can also customize your butter with salt levels (we do unsalted), but also with different herbs, or other flavours!

Only takes a few minutes (well unless you do the shake method).

Even if you don't think it's something you want to do regularly, you should try making your own butter… just once!

2 comments:

  1. I get a jar done (filled half full with cream) in about 30 minutes. I think I will try it in my Ninja. Downside is I will have to hold button to stay on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get a jar done (filled half full with cream) in about 30 minutes. I think I will try it in my Ninja. Downside is I will have to hold button to stay on.

    ReplyDelete