Thursday, November 17, 2011

Egg McMuffins

Here is a recipe I found on Pinterest, when looking for freezer meals. Egg McMuffins, but WAY healthier than the real thing.



First off, my husband is not big on breakfast... he rarely takes the time to eat it, except occasionally when we have company. We made about 18 of these the first time round, and he took them to work for the freezer there. They are a great mid morning breakfast for him, and I think all his coworkers are jealous (so much so he said he thinks I should make larger batches, and he'll collect a couple dollars from anyone who wants them at work).

Homemade Freezer Egg McMuffins
eggs
canadian bacon (or ham)
cheddar cheese
english muffins

Spray a muffin tin, and crack the eggs into the tin. Place in the oven at 350F for 15-20 minutes.

Toast the english muffins (either in the toaster, or on a pan in the oven with the eggs), grate the cheese and lay everything out while the eggs are baking.

Then it's simply assembly... stack the egg, ham and a sprinkling of cheese on each english muffin, top and wrap in plastic wrap. I then place them in ziplock bags for the freezer.

When you want to make them to eat, put them in the oven (toaster oven) for 25 minutes at 350F.

IF you want to eat them right away, they only need to go in the oven for 5-10 minutes.

You can reheat in the microwave, but they get kinda soggy.

Here's some photos of our stack (have made them twice now, 18 the first time, and 24 the second time).

P1010250

photo-3

I'm trying to put items in my freezer as often as possible. With the newest addition to the family, I find often I'm scrambling to make dinner around 5 pm.

I thought this way of cooking eggs was BRILLIANT! If I ever have to make a big batch of eggs for company, etc, I will be doing this. We also used this method for making our eggs for eggs benedict one day too. Just make sure you spray the muffin tins, or they stick.

No comments:

Post a Comment